Saturday, August 18, 2012

The First Day (of the rest of my life)

I am in the right place.

I have had so much confusion, and doubt, and depression during the past year that I was despairing ever finding "my place". Not only have I found my place, I have found my people.

My orientation group, Team Betadine bonded at lunch over our mutual love of Qdoba, and how Rapunzel from Tangled is the best latest Disney princess because "she's kind of like a doctor...I mean, she heals people, right?" A guy in my group noticed my necklace from Brazil, and we've already made plans to get CHM to send us to Brazil for charity work...during the World Cup. A quick meeting with our counseling staff revealed how many of us have dealt with fear, depression, and stress, and how many people have a shared love of music, sports, and animals. Every hand I shook introduced me to a new colleague, one that I believe will have my back for the next four years.

(There's also nothing like racing up and down six flights of stairs multiple times to try to piece together an inflatable skeleton and laughing to the point of collapse to really cement the bond.)

I received my white coat today. While the official ceremony isn't until next week, I had literal chills when I put it on.

This is me.
This is my life.
I am going to be a doctor.
I am in the right place.


No comments:

Post a Comment