Sunday, August 26, 2012

White Coat Ceremony


Today was my official white coat ceremony. It's a seemingly silly thing, walking across the stage with coat draped on hand, only to hand it to someone else to have them awkwardly assist you putting it on, but it was actually very rewarding. Each hand I shook was a promise to help, each clap and cheer from my family was an affirmation that I am on the right path. Even more rewarding was seeing my fellow classmates walk across the stage and receive their white jackets. From house right, we were civilians. We could have been at any sort of formal event. But the minute we strode over to the center of the stage, you realized: we are becoming DOCTORS. After I attached my Humanism in Medicine and Michigan State Medical Society pins to my lapel, I realized that I am no longer just me. I am my family, and my classmates, and my school, and the medical community at large. I am a part of something so much bigger than I think I ever realized, and I cannot wait to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment