Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I'm still THAT girl....

I had to laugh a bit today.

Not that I'm complaining, but I'm once again "the artsy scientist".

See, when I was in undergrad, I was a pre-med Human Biology major who also enjoyed theatre and costuming. My science friends didn't always understand art, and my artsy/theatre friends didn't always understand science. It put me a rather unique, and sometimes lonely, situation. I never felt like I really belonged in either group. I was sometimes treated like a pet, or a project, or "Oooh, look at what SHE can do!", but I was always too dramatic for the scientists, and too logical for the artists.

(That's not to say I didn't find very good friends who were also like me, at least in some aspects. You know who you are and I love all of you!)

I have to laugh, because even though medical school was supposed to be my fresh start, I am STILL that person. I am the artsy med student.

I had my last clinical skills small group session on Monday, and my preceptor, who is very much a "man's man" and somewhat stereotypical trauma surgeon, gave me a rather interesting compliment. "You're definitely not the traditional medical student. You need to embrace that."

Then we had a student council meeting and were talking about medical school personality types, and how traditionally most student council members are very organization, linear A-types..."except now then an artsy fartsy student sneaks in". I sort of shrugged and then everyone started laughing because, hey, I'm apparently that student.

Shortly after though, everyone was complimenting me on my Teslacon costumes and wanting to know how I did it, and what should be we plan for Med Ball, and WE SHOULD TOTALLY GO ALL OUT SO WE CAN ALL WEAR COSTUMES.

The difference from undergrad is, my difference is regarded as a strength. The difference is, the other artsy medical students are easy to identify. The difference is, I feel like I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment