Saturday, August 31, 2013

Back to the Grindstone: Year 1.5

Well, I just completed my second "first week" of medical school.

Because I am extended, this semester, and really this year, is a blend of Block I and Block II classes. It's been a little hairy this week, trying to figure out exactly what classes I have to go to and which classes am I auditing and exactly which of these "required" events do I actually have to sign in for. The joys of the real world, I suppose.

My class load for this semester is:

Biochemistry (which I'm going to Master just to spite Mr. A)
SCCD (Basically, ethics)
Epidemiology II
**Auditing Physiology
**Auditing Genetics

I'm also (most likely) presenting a couple of lectures at Teslacon this year on Victorian Medicine and The Science and Sociology of Victorian 'Freak Shows'. I'm pretty excited about it - still waiting to hear back for the official schedule, but it would be a great way for me to legitimize all of this steampunk stuff I've been doing. One of my advisers also wants me to present these at the History of Medicine Interest Group.

I'm also *slowly* working on my paper from my internship this summer. If all goes as planned, I'll have another publication before the school year is out. Oh! I'm also taking a medical business elective, just for kicks and giggles.

It's both good and weird to be back. I really missed my classmates - more than I think I even realized. And now that I live closer to the school, it's easier to get up and walk to class in the morning. But dealing with some of the aforementioned bureaucracy triggered some of my depressions issues, so I almost feel like I've relapsed a bit.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment